Organ building tradition
The safeguarding of the spirit of the Saxon Silbermann school combined with the newest artistic and technical knowledge is characteristic for our organ building workshop.
When HERMANN EULE registered his trade as an organ builder in Bautzen on 26 January 1872 an apprenticeship of many years lay behind him. His journeyman years led him to Balthasar Schlimbach in Würzburg, where he became familiar with the most modern form of the windchest, the mechanical cone valve chest (or Kegellade), which he built from then on. His basic principle of the highest possible solidity quickly gained him a good reputation in the Oberlausitz, later in the whole of Saxony and in Bohemia. Numerous examples of his work are still in existence today. In terms of his sound he followed the contemporary currents of organ romanticism. Sonorous, broad measured principles, melodious woodwind and pronounced strings characterise the tone of these organs. At the turn of the century he moved away from the mechanical cone valve chest and subsequently built precisely functioning pneumatic organs (Taschenlade) on the flow-back principle.
Hermann Eule died in 1929 at the age of 83. His daughter JOHANNA EULE continued to run the company. The influences of the organ movement also reverberated in Bautzen. Thus, in 1936 the first new slider chest (Schleiflade) organ in Saxony was built for the Pauli-Kreuz Church in Chemnitz (III / 39). At this time restoration activities also began on significant historical organs, largely in Saxony and Thuringia.
1957 HANS EULE took over the management of the company. He brought it to a new peak with considerable personal commitment. He created 134 new organs, one of which was the largest church organ built in the GDR in Zwickau Cathedral. The creation of his works also took him beyond the border to Sweden, the former Soviet Union and to West Germany.
After his premature death in 1971 his wife and long-term staff member INGEBORG EULE carried on the running of the company. She even ran it as a “People’s Workshop” during the years of dispossession between 1972 - 1990 in such a farsighted and forward-looking manner that the company was able to return to family ownership in summer 1990 almost undamaged. The Managing Director from 1987 to 2005 was the organ builder master craftsman ARMIN ZUCKERRIEDEL. Between 1971 and 2005 231 new organs were built and 43 historical instruments were restored.
At the beginning of 2006 the leadership of the company passed into younger hands. Since then the managing director has been ANNE-CHRISTIN EULE, Ingeborg Eule’s granddaughter, a qualified organ builder and Master of Business Administration, along with the certificated economist JIŘÍ KOCOUREK between April 2008 and April 2013. Since Mai 2013 he assists the Eule Company in a part-time employment as an artistic adviser. On 1st Mai 2013 master organ builder DIRK EULE was appointed to managing director. Master organ builder CHRISTOPH KUMPE has been employed by the company since 1978 and operates as the workshop manager for many years.
New construction and restoration carry the same weight at Eule Orgelbau allowing knowledge gained from activities involving historical organs to be brought to bear on new constructions. The tone palette, experienced with the involvement of historical mensures, which are integrated in a developing inventory through a process of synthesis, provide a welcome enrichment.